19 March, 2009

Time Out For Women


This past weekend I went to Time Out for Women. I have to tell you, that weekend changed my life. I learned so much, not only about the gospel but about myself as well. I can not say enough good things about the experience. I wish I could have gone with EVERY woman in my life. It is definitely something I will do again. The speakers were awesome. I came away with so many wonderful thoughts. I want to share some of them with you. (My pen had a hard time wanting to work so my notes are a little scattered)
  1. Don't forget who you are and who's you are
  2. Heavenly Father loves my children just as much as I do
  3. When talking about the Holidays, isn't it great that we have Thanksgiving before Christmas. Having a season of gratitude before a season of giving really puts things into perspective.
  4. There is a difference between giving something and giving all
  5. Truly serving is more then giving a casserole.
  6. The Lord knows you. He knows your name. If he took the time to know your name, what else does he know about you?
  7. The Lord is the tender behind the mercy
  8. Heavenly Father is always there to hear my complaints, sometimes he is the only one willing to listen.
  9. Heavenly Father doesn't just love us because we are adorable, but he is our Dad.
  10. We don't need to earn God's love. When we have children they are these bald toothless crying things and we love them just because they are our children. They have not done anything to earn our love. The same is true for us. He loves us because we are his children.
  11. Love is always a gift, not a purchase
  12. The atonement is for everyday of our lives, not just for Judgment Day
  13. Describe yourself to yourself. What advice would you give to help if you were talking to a friend?
  14. Be who you are so loud, the word can't ignore you. We are the supporters and defenders of Families. The World needs more women like us.
  15. God doesn't give us more trials then we can handle with Jesus' help
  16. Try to find humor in adversity

The most important thought to me that I heard is this,

If you saw a mother treating her daughter the way you treat yourself,
what kind of mother would you think she is?

That one hit my like a ton of bricks. I have been pondering it since and have really tried to treat myself better. I think that thought means something different to everyone. I have discussed to with a few women and some said "I really should speak more kindly to myself" someone said "I really need to feed myself better. I never get myself to bed on time." I would love it if you would share your impressions on this thought. I think there is a lot we can learn about ourselves by taking a look within.

I have also been trying to impart some of my newly learned wisdom on Isabella. We were talking about how our Heavenly Father loves us and how we are daughters of God. I asked Isabella "How do you know Jesus and Heavenly Father love you?" She said "Because I know them!"I want you all to know, I know them too. How wonderful it is to know that.

Time Out for Woman's theme is Sweet Assurance, the certainty that comes when you know life's truths. "Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith..." -Hebrews 10:22. During the weekend they asked us "what is your truth? What do you know is absolutely true?" At lunch on Saturday, the group of woman I went with sat down and we went around in a circle and told one truth. Some said they know God loves them, some said they know there husband trusts them. Some said, they love there children. So I ask you, what is your truth? You may only have one truth and that is OK. I think as we go through life we can collect truths as we go along. Learning and growing in the process.

2 comments:

  1. The truth that I know is that the atonement is an infinite atonement. I used to think that referred to Christ's atonement for ALL of us on all of his creations through out all time. I have come to learn that even more than this, it is infinite because of his infinite patience and love for us. He will forgive us over and over and over just as long as we keep repenting until we eventually become perfect (not even in our own power, but he also gives us his power to be able to do it at all). I don't know about you, but the longer I live the more infinite that seems to be. When I was younger I thought I'd have it pretty well figured out by now, but it just isn't happening quite that way. Thank goodness He still loves us inspite of our never ending mistakes and weaknesses, and yes, even sins. Thank goodness for his infinite love and patience and his infinite atonement. How grateful I am to Him to finally realize I am going to make it eventually, all I have to do is trust in Him and keep on repenting and trying again. How blessed I feel to finally understand and know this truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this beautiful bunch of thoughts. I love you. I am so glad to have you for a sis. I just wish you lived closer so we could know each other better. I guess one of the truths that I know is that God really does care about us individually. He really is interested in the things we think and do. He will give us imput if we ask for it.

    ReplyDelete