12 June, 2009

Sucessful Organ Transplant Complete! Assisted by Dr. Gardner!


Today we got an organ! The Church of Christ Scientist in Gig Harbor had an Organ they didn't want anymore. They put it on freecycle (for more info on freecycle, e-mail me) and we snatched it up. We drove out to Gig Harbor last Sunday before church to look at it. After measuring it we realized it would fit in our van. It is not the biggest organ in the world but we like it. I don't know exactly how old it is. It needs most of it's stops (the buttons that change the sound) cleaned. To have a repair man do it would be $200. But Jacob and I and a friend of ours are going to do it ourselves. With the stops cleaned, the value of the organ will be around $25,000. I can not believe they gave it to us! The only member of there congregation who even knew how to play it died a over a year ago and not wanting to pay for the cleaning, they wanted to get rid of it but felt it a shame to toss it. So we were blessed with it. Jacob and my brother, Wesley, picked it up and drove it home.


One thing I really like about it is that it has a 3 octave foot pedal board (not shown in the picture). Jacob spent a good half hour singing and playing for us out of the Children's song book. My favorite part was when Isabella sang "I am A Child Of God" while her daddy played it. So sweet! It is going to be so nice to have organ music in our home.


My visiting teacher, who just happens to be one of my favorite people in the world, has her BA is Organ Performance. She and Jacob will be trading lesson for landscaping. Soon, our home will be full of music.


P.S. If you are wondering about the Dr. Gardner comment, our home teacher is a Dr and he helped us move the organ in to our house today!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Jacob played piano, let alone the Organ. What a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organ transplant! That's great. I am excited to see your re-arranged living room. Is it heavy?

    ReplyDelete