Loss is part of the cycle of life. I know that eventually everyone I know will pass away and so will I. Hopefully that day won’t come for some time yet for me but it seems that for many of the people I know the time is now. In the past 6 years I have lost several friends, All of whom are my age and all in very different circumstances; some by illness, some intentional, and some by horrible accident. All have been sudden and very devastating. I have had many opportunities to think on my own mortality, to take stock on what I am doing in my life and what I can do to improve my relationships with my family and friends. I can honestly say I love everyone I know. I might not get along with everyone every second of the day but I do love them. I really hope that I am the kind of friend and family member the Lord wants me to be.
It is so hard to lose a friend especially at my age. I am only 28 for goodness sake and I have attended more funerals these past few years then weddings. It is so heart breaking. This past week I think was one of the harder losses for me. I was sitting and flipping through the paper and happened on the obituaries and there as big as anything was a picture of a very good friend from high School. This person had died suddenly of a heart condition. I was stunned, I was sad, and as I read I got a little angry. They ran the obituary the same day as the memorial service and by the time I had a chance to read the paper the time of the service had pasted and I missed it. It didn’t even get a chance to say good bye or mourn with the family or any of my other friends that would have been there.
One thing that has helped me to deal with all of this loss is my testimony in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. Knowing who I am where I came from and where I am going after this life is such a comfort. Also I hope those I love know how I feel about them. One of my friends who passed last month I distinctly remember the last time I talked to them I told them I loved them and gave them a hug. So I guess what I trying to say is tell people how you feel about them because, trust me on this, you never know when it will be the last time you see them in this life.
No comments:
Post a Comment