18 August, 2011

Breastfeeding Challenges- My Story

 

easter fence bday J 099

Breastfeeding is one of my passions. I feel so strongly about the benefits of breastfeeding and with each of my babies I have tried my all to nurse them for as long as possible.  But for all of my efforts I have had more then a few troubles along the way.

When I gave birth to Isabella we were both very sick. I labored with her for 36 hours and pushed for 6 hours before having an emergency c-section. I later found our that my hips were not wide enough to get the baby out. Well during the long labor we both got an infection so after she was born she was rushed off  to NICU and I didn’t even see her let alone hold her for 3 days. Lactation was not in the cards from the get go. I was not given a pump until 4 days post baby and I was not shown how to use it. When I was strong enough to leave my room to visit the baby and finally held her they would not let me nurse her because she was too weak. I never really got her to latch on and my milk was gone by 2 weeks post baby. I was so sad and hurt by that entire experience and I really wanted to try again with the next baby.

When Iyla came around I was even more determined to get it right. It started out ok. I had a planned c-section and about 45 minutes after she was born I got her latched on. She didn’t eat very often and started dropping weight fast. she lost about 1 pound in the first 3 days and we found out she had jaundice. As part of her treatment she was force fed formula from a bottle. That was the beginning of the end for our nursing relationship. She liked bottles and after 2 months I was pumping full time and giving formula. I am a HORRIBLE pumper! I never get much and I went to a lactation consultant and discovered that I don’t have as many milk ducts as most woman. So I was told what ducts I do have can make up the difference but I needed to help things along. so i started taking herbs and prescription medication to try to up my supply but since i was just pumping it didn’t work. I was so blessed that a friend of mine who was nursing her baby at the same time donated some of her milk to Iyla so she got 5 months more breast milk then she would have and I supplemented with formula.

At this point I was feeling like a failure in the nursing department. I tried 2 times and failed miserably.  But instead of getting discoursed I felt even more resolve to try again.

When Ginny was born I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. I joined groups on Facebook and I felt even more prepared then ever. Ginny decided to come 13 days early and I went into labor with her and we couldn’t get it to stop so we had to do an emergency c-section. I was blessed that she came out perfect. No infections or anything. I got her to latch 30 minutes after she was born and she has been a great nurser.

I thought things were going great with her. She was a full time nurser at 6 months and had never had a bottle. I was pretty pleased with things although she seemed a little small for her age. I took her in for her 6 month check and she had only gained 12 ounces in two months. We had gotten thrush and my period came back all the same time which gave my supply a huge hit. The Dr wanted me to start supplementing her with formula. I was not surprised but heartbroken nonetheless. I have been trying not to feel defeated or feel like I did something wrong. It’s so hard when you want to do something and try with all your heart and it just won’t work. I did have the idea of giving her the formula in a cup so we are not even going to deal with bottles. She is still nursing full time but gets a cup of formula 3 times a day. I have been really sad about having to go to formula again so my hubby started calling it “Baby Protein Shake” since it’s not her main source of food.

I went to the store to buy some formula and brought it home and had to run off to an appointment and when I came home I found this in the pantry…

thronock family reunion 041

This is why I love my husband! He is the most amazing man on earth. He knows just how to make me feel better.

I am hoping that I can get my supply back up again but I don’t think I will be able to take Ginny off the formula anytime soon. At least with Ginny the breast milk she is getting is mine and she still loves to nurse. With all of this you might think I would give up. But I won’t! I have dreams of nursing her well into toddler hood and I sure hope I can.

I have found support and lots of education has helped me to get as far as I have. I am proud to say I exclusively breastfed my baby for 6 full months and even though she is getting some formula she is still nursing full time. I am sad I can’t do it all on my own but grateful I am able to still give her all that I do have.

Being a mom is the most amazing blessing I could ever wish for and I am so grateful every day for the opportunity Heavenly Father has given me to raise his spirit daughters. I take my job very seriously and even if I get frustrated or annoyed, I feel so overwhelmed with the love an trust placed in me that it always pulls be through whatever challenge I am facing, including breastfeeding.

4 comments:

  1. You are incredible and I know you will always do your best. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey about 6 months they start to eat "real food" anyway. that is the point where breastfeeding declines and intrest in other things increases. So don't sweat it, its normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hopped over from Latter-day Homeschooling. You're doing an awesome job. That's all you can do-- your best. I like what your husband did to the forumla! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Jacob he rocks! y'gotta love sensitive guys

    ReplyDelete