10 May, 2009

My thought on "Spare the Rod Spoil the Child"

I was reading in the Bible and came across this scripture, Proverbs 13:24

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him
betimes.

Most people think it means if you don't hit your kid, you are a bad parent. Well, I happen to feel differently. I am so glad that I have additional knowledge and understanding. Most people think of an actual rod to beat your child with. But like so many things in the bible the rod in my opinion is referring to a special rod. this rod just happens to be made of Iron! It the Book Of Mormon we read about Nephi. He was a very righteous son of Lehi. Lehi told his son Nephi about a dream he had about the tree of life. Nephi, wanting to know more about the dream went to the Lord in prayer. Nephi had a vision in 1 Nephi 11:25 it states


And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

As we learn in this scripture, the Iron rod is the word of God. So if we replace the word "rod" with it's meaning "the word of God" the bible verse would read "He that spareth the word of God hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.



Now when we look at the the word chasten we learn the meaning of that word is, according to the Cambridge dictionary


verb [T usually passive] FORMAL to make someone aware that they have failed
or done something wrong and make them want to improve:





When deciding how we would handle discipline in out home Jacob and I decided even before we were married we would never physically harm our children (as we both were as children, me more then him) but try to find a way to use positive discipline and teach out children with love and respect, not fear. If I were to strike my child when she does something wrong, she might not do it again. But the result of her obedience is more of my concern then her actual obedience. When she thinks about re offending will she not because last time she was hurt by her mommy and she is afraid of being hurt again; or will she not because she learned not to because I told her not to and wants to obey me because she love me and respects me.



My most important goal as a mother is to raise my girls to love the Lord and follow his teachings. I can only do what I feel is best for them and leave to rest to the Lord. I can not force them to do what I want but I can teach them there is consequences for their actions, good or bad. If you disobey mommy or daddy you will go in timeout and miss out on whatever fun thing you are doing. If you help mommy and daddy or clean up you mess you will get hugs and kisses and praise for a job well done.

I feel so blessed this mother's day that I am a mother and have the joy of raising these 2 amazing spirits. I only wish I could endeavour to continue to be worthy of the blessings the give me daily.



My goal in blogging about this in to share my opinion, not to judge anyone for there parenting style. This is just what we have found that works well for our family. I have respect for all parents. Raising up the next generation is not easy. Happy mother's day to all!!

2 comments:

  1. i think you have it right on key about the positive re-direction. That is exactly what i learned when i went to school for child development, and i decided then and there that that is the protocol that i will follow when raising my own children, and Jay agrees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a time for a spanking, but far to often we use that first and not other means of correction, as should be the case. You are a great mom and I am sure that you and your children will both grow from your parenting experiences

    ReplyDelete