Today was our project day for our unit. I try to have one big project for every unit we do. Today, we made a plaster model of a T-Rex tooth and then excavated it just like a real archeloigist!
I bought a kit at the Dino Musuem at Thanksgiving Point in Utah about 6 years ago when I was a teacher for my students. I never got around to using it but kept it. I found it about a year ago in a box and stuck it with all the other school stuff. I am so glad I did because it fit perfectly with what we are learning about.
Here is the Kit!
I also picked up this fossil of a mollusk. Isabella really loved having her own fossil!
Here is our little dino lover! ready to get started
The kit had a mold, instructions, and casting plaster
After mixing the plaster we poured it into the mold
After about 20 minutes it was done and we were able break off the excess.
Isabella was so excited. Also she was amazed how much bigger the T-Rex tooth was to her own.
Our beautiful tooth!
Isabella colored the tooth purple.
Ater it was colored we buried it it "dirt" (flour).
Then we talked about how scientists found dinosaur bones in the ground and about what tools they used. For Isabella, we used a large brush, a small brush and a toothpick.
Isabella started out with the large brush to find the tooth
once she found it she swithced to the small brush to clear the "dirt" from the sides of the tooth.
Then she used the toothpick to clean out the small corners.
YAY!! Isabella excavated her first 'fossil'! It was such a fun project for us to do.















Oh my heck, you guys are so totally awesome!! What a great thing for school!!! Way to go mom!!! I loved to do things that involved fun too. We even went to a place once where we could dig for fossils. I think Grampa Toby still has some that he found.
ReplyDeleteYou homeschool! Wow, I think I vaguely remember you telling me that you were planning to do so! What an awesome activity, you covered several subjects in one art, history, and science. You have always impressed me with your creativity! How fun!
ReplyDeleteneat.
ReplyDelete♥ ac